This Forest REDD+ conservation project prevents deforestation of a unique and biodiverse region which is the habitat of many native species.
Spreading over 20,000 km2 in Southwestern Cambodia, the Cardamom Mountain Range runs along Thailand’s border. The area is home to the second largest virgin rainforest in Southeast Asia, which is under significant pressure from illegal logging and poaching.
This offsetting project focusses on the South of this region, with the aim of preserving the biodiversity and the habitat for many native species. Fifty of them are on the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List including the Asian elephant, the Asian brown bear, the Clouded Leopard and the Siamese crocodile.
Twenty-eight local communities depend on this region, which represents 16,319 people of whom only 16% live above the poverty line defined by the Cambodian government.
- Protection of 445,339 hectares of forest and 53 threatened species.
- Project beneficiaries amount to 16,319 people, 3,841 families and 29 communities.
- 1,410 families are targeted for training on sustainable agricultural practices.
- Coaching and support is provided to rangers to assist in better policing of the
rainforests and counteracting corruption.
- Proceeds from the project help to develop ecotourism infrastructure to provide
- Scholarships are funded for students from 8 different communities.
- The project also funds increased support for health workers, hiring of additional
healthcare staff and improving facilities.
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) were established by United Nations as a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure all people enjoy peace and prosperity. There are 17 goals in total and this project is aligned to the following SDG goals.
Stuck for clever present ideas? Give someone you love (could be yourself) 1 tonne of carbon. If you live in the UK, your carbon footprint...View full product details
Did you know that your pet also has a carbon footprint? We provide some ideas for how you can reduce it in our blog section. Where you...View full product details
This product allows you to offset the average UK footprint of an adult (12.2 tCO2). Select the number of people you would like to offset...View full product details
Welcome to Terra Neutra
Sign up to our newsletter to get the latest updates and information.