This Peatland Restoration and Conservation Project REDD+ project has the potential to deliver emissions reductions of an average of 7.4 million tonnes of CO2e per year.
Peatland is a valuable carbon sink with stocks which globally stores 20 times more carbon than that stored in both trees and vegetation.
Indonesian Borneo, known as Kalimantan, has 5.7 million hectares of peatland and it is rapidly being lost to the expansion of industrial plantations. The clearing, draining and burning of peatland is estimated to contribute 18-20% of Indonesian’s greenhouse gas emissions by 2020.
This project works to protect 149,800 hectares of peatland and provide a more sustainable source of income to local communities.
- Conservation of 149,800 hectares of peatland, preventing loss to industrial timber plantations for pulpwood.
- Preservation of precious biodiversity in the area: field surveys identified 67 mammals, 157 birds, 41 reptiles, 8 amphibians, 111 fish, and 314 floral species.
- Stops the release of 14,254,599 tonnes of carbon in vegetation and 546,767,493 tonnes stored in the peatland.
- Planned reforestation of 4,433 hectares.
- A community-led agroforestry approach means that economically valuable local species will be planted to support local communities and livelihoods.
- Rewetting will be undertaken where peatland in the area has already been subject to draining canals.
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) were established by United Nations as a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure all people enjoy peace and prosperity. There are 17 goals in total and this project is aligned to the following SDG goals:
Stuck for clever present ideas? Give someone you love (could be yourself) 1 tonne of carbon. If you live in the UK, your carbon footprint...View full product details
Did you know that your pet also has a carbon footprint? We provide some ideas for how you can reduce it in our blog section. Where you...View full product details
This product allows you to offset the average UK footprint of an adult (12.2 tCO2). Select the number of people you would like to offset...View full product details
Welcome to Terra Neutra
Sign up to our newsletter to get the latest updates and information.